Budgets Part 2

Budgets

So in my last post about budgets I talked about how we planned to start budgeting for the year 2019 to pay off debts and hopefully save a bit more money this year, well the last few months I have been tracking out spending like a hawk, not to stop the spending, but just to see how much we are actually spending each month. Boy did we get a wake up call, on groceries alone we spent almost $900 at Walmart in ONE MONTH... What the HECK is wrong with us! Yes I had budgeted about $400 for the month, about $100 a week for food, thinking that would be plenty for just the two of us... I was mortified! 

So this month we are not only tracking all of our spending, but we are also cutting back on a lot of spending, in moderation of course. We need to take it slow or Quinn will go crazy not being able to purchase when he wants to. I also realized we had a lot of bills being paid from different accounts and it was getting so confusing trying to find which bill was paid where and when, that it made me decide we needed to change that. I took the time to make sure that all our bills, major or minor, were all coming from our main account. That way I can quickly scroll through our online bank statement and see each payment among st all our other spending. 

Anyways, we seem to be better this month. We still have a lot of work to do with figuring out a game plan to start paying off debts. We would like to start with Quinn's medical bills first... we are close to $10,000 in the whole from that alone. The next section we'd like to get paid off is our student loans. Then the Jeep, and finally the house. We don't have credit card debt because we both learned at young ages that credit cards get you into really hard spots, so if we do use it, we pay it off immediately after, and we never spend more then $500 on the card. 

I'll definitely have updates soon on how we decide to work through that debt. I will be studying David Ramsey's methods on the subject and applying them to our lifestyle once the school season is over so I can fully focus on the changes we need to make. As for now we are using the EveryDollar app which is a free app that has the best platform for not tech savvy people who need some help and don't want to use paper! I highly recommend it! 

Comment below with the things you are doing to pay off debts and keep track on a budget!! 

Comments

Popular Posts